Living at home is one thing and then living on campus for school is another…and then there’s the first apartment scenario where you have to learn to adult FAST. While the first apartment situation has been going well, I thought I would share some of my first apartment essentials…
Firstly, I highly recommend thinking about how you can spend less and use more of what you already have. Since I was moving from my suite (fancy dorm life) on campus right into an off-campus apartment, I already had something to work with. I recommend thinking in terms of four…
- Bedroom: Even if it’s an air mattress, figure out bedding, lighting, and ways to use your space efficiently, but in the cozy and cutest way possible. You want it to feel home-like, so decorate with what you have accordingly. My situation right now is temporary, but by using bins holding more stuff and scarves/fabric on top, I got instant tables that double as storage and packing. Utilize everything in creative ways and remember that less is more! (a long scarf also can work as a curtain too!)
- Kitchen: This is a two parter…one, appliances/pots/pans/utensils/Tupperware/mugs. You don’t have to go overboard, but just having a general overview of this will help a lot! Next, food is important. Think of healthy options that last a long time. If you’re like me and semi-able to cook, have cereals, oatmeal, eggs, milk, and consider some frozen dinners too. As easy as Postmates and eating out of the apartment is, you will save a lot by picking up groceries! Also, soups, noodles, and a sauce jar or two is ideal. (*easy recipes are regularly posted on this site too!)
- Bathroom: Towels, soaps/cleansers (for the apartment and you too!), and the regular bathroom essentials kind of go without saying here.
- Closet: Clothing and shoes are obvious but also, I recommend bins for storage! Having them makes transporting things so much easier than paper boxes and they double as smaller desks/tables too. Staying organized is key!
Okay, so here are some specific items I personally recommend…
- Water Heater
- Lighting (a lamp and some string lights go a long way!)
- Mugs (always…they work for everything!)
- Laundry Bag
- First Aid (only a couple of days in, glass broke in my hands and having band aids and such on hand literally saved my sanity and finger)
- Extra hand towels (dishes, bathroom, etc.)
To be fair, it doesn’t take a lot to manage living. Like dorm shopping, it’s really easy to get caught up in all of the adorable home decor that every store claims as “essentials” but having a touch of personal cuteness and a decent amount of practicableness is really all of the “essential” you will need. That whole saying, “less is more” is true. If your apartment has amenities like a pool, gym, or local transportation, take advantage of that too!
What are some of your best apartment/living essentials? Let me know in the comments below or tweet me them @sarahfhamilton!