Well, it’s been a while.
Life has gotten insanely but wonderfully busy lately and I thought I would take a quick moment to vent and address something in which I have been noticing and reflecting on lately.
That’s right; I am finally aware that I am in this ongoing cycle of being stuck not doing anything, putting myself in a ton of fun opportunities to become more involved, and then trying to do as much as possible productively while finding myself increasingly overwhelmed and stressed out. The stress causes all sorts of issues, which eventually fade out, and then the cycle begins all over again.
Recently, I have been more reflective upon my life and well-being and it is completely true that I set too many priorities and things to do. This has been a wonderful thing, but it has also been a bit of a problem as well. So, how can I fix this?
First, sleep is important and thankfully, it is something I have been able to control. There are plenty of moments where I choose sleep over practically anything else simply because I am very aware that it will help me manage everything. So, this isn’t really anything in which I need to fix.
Priority wise, most would suggest sorting out priorities and cutting out things in my life that I don’t care about as much or is causing too much stress. The problem here is that all of my high priorities are simply too equally important in different ways, so while this remains a problem, I can’t really do anything about it.
THAT being said, I am trying a few things to help myself…
- More movement – Okay, I can’t make it to the gym as much as I would like, but I have been trying to take longer paths and move around more often. Movement keeps us going, right?
- More music and relaxing – Escape is key! I try to provide more time to relax with some music of different kinds, reading, and binging Netflix and YouTube. Lately, I have even found myself in theaters and the movie, La La Land has proven itself to be a great escape, while not exactly pushing everything to the side.
- Healthier choices – This is hard since comfort comes in the form of carbs and ice cream, but I am at the very least attempting to eat better and structure out my meals and snacks ahead of time. Plus, I have seriously avoided sugary coffees (I love mochas!) and gone to more caffiene-heavy bold coffee drinks without anything more than perhaps some almond milk. Oh, and all of the water!
- Schedule everything in advance and make choices – I am very bad at saying no to opportunities. Instead, I find ways to do as much as possible. Over the years, this has become very second nature and easy to do. But that has also been problematic stress-wise lately, so I am adjusting to better prioritization on individual events and not signing up for more than I can handle…which is very difficult but somehow working.
- Writing, Drawing, & Reflecting – I love writing and drawing so even when my focus is trying to put all my creative energy towards major projects relating to film and YouTube (hello, time commitments!), I find taking moments to draw, write, and reflect on life simply for fun and nothing else has been mind-releaving.
Mostly, I am doing all I can to simply my complex life so that I can still do everything I love but not have it negatively affect me through the issues of stress and becoming overwhelmed. Things have been absolutely wonderful but I have learned that sometimes, I can’t be in control of everything (or mostly everything) in my life and lately, I have been trying to learn how to come to terms with that and still live productively and more happilly.
How can one overcome stress while remaining productive?
I wish you a wonderful week ahead! If you have any thoughts/comments/questions/etcetera, feel free to leave a comment or tweet me @sarahfhamilton.